Do you like it rare, medium or well done? It is up to you! This recipe is for meat lovers. Of course, when you are a vegetarian or flexitarian you can replace the steak for a veggie replacement like quorn, tofu or tempeh if you are on a low FODMAP diet.
Steak with ratatouille and potatoes (4 persons)
Preparation time: 40 minutes
300 g of steak
2 red bell pepper/capsicum
8 tbsp. of olive oil
600 g of sliced potatoes
2 tbsp. of Provencal herbs
Salt and pepper
1. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator to reach room temperature.
2. Wash the eggplants and zucchinis and dice them. Wash the bell peppers and cut them into pieces.
3. Wash the tomatoes and dice them. Do you prefer your tomatoes without the skin? Bring a pan of water to a boil. Make crosses in the bottom of the tomatoes, add them to the boiling water for a few seconds, rinse them with cold water and remove the skins.
4. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the eggplant and bell pepper for about 3 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of hot oil in another pan and fry the slices of potatoes with some salt until they are golden brown.
6. Add the zucchinis and the tomatoes to the vegetable mixture and let it braise for about 20 minutes, stir regularly. Season with salt, pepper and the Provencal herbs.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the steak. For medium rare you fry the steak for 4 minutes on each side, without moving or flipping in between. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the steak from the pan and let it rest.
8. In the mean time you can serve the ratatouille and the fried potatoes on a plate. Cut the steak into strips and add them to the plate.
Tip: nice to serve some rocket salad to go with it!